Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Day 46 (still running a day late)

Yesterday was my surprise birthday party. Organized by mother dear and attended by the following conspirators (in no particular order):
Friends: Madhurima, Shutapa, Jesica, Rishi, Debanuj
Family: Mother, 13-going-on-16 Sister,4-going-on-5 sister,13-year-old's 2 friends and one of their mothers.
Conspicuous by her absence was Shreya Shukla who got held up at work because I had to leave early. She was in effect, finishing my work and couldn't attend my party despite conspiring about it.
Also conspicuous by his absence was Rahul 'Chomu' Kunda who apparently broke his leg and was in hospital. I'm not sure I believe the story. He has a new girlfriend now. I wonder how this one came to pass.

Ploy to get me out of office belonged to the Mother: I was told that there was some legal document that I would be required to sign. I went along unsuspectingly. Late by less than a whisker, but still running late. Mother was dressed up. Surprising, considering we were going to some run-down government building. As I mentioned, we were late, but she still wanted to stop and pet this very cool-looking overweight labrador. I didn't let her: 'We're late. Come along." And then... she wanted to go inside Golden Dragon to book the place for my birthday (which, incidentally, is on June 7, Saturday). She headed for the door. I said, "No. Not now." She dragged me by the hand into that dimly-lit little restaurant, while I struggled to escape. Ma won. I was in. And before my eyes could adjust to the lack of light,

SURPRISE!!

Presenting my Surprise Happy Birthday Party.

What happened next was that a lot of food appeared on the table all of a sudden, and none of us pounced upon it, though the two boys were asked to stuff themselves silly, and they didn't stuff themselves silly. Some of the folks at the table struggled with the food, while others polished it off ASAP and refused to take any more.

My Surprise Happy Birthday Party cake was a white guitar. Apparently, Ma offered to pay for the 24 candles that were needed for my cake. How old am I???

I got a book and a bag from Anjali's friends and a card with a guitar quote that I will find and put up tomorrow. I had planned to put up some birthday pics given that Madz went clickhappy. But since I look horrible in the two that I saw, I will not put them up. If I see one nice photo of me, expect to see it in tomorrow's post.

6 comments:

coffee stain said...

stuff?! 5:30 in the afternoon.... we were at oly....and stuff?!?! sheesh

~Moo-lah Buz!nezzz~ said...

On my defense....I was full,and 5.30 aint din-din time... :D

ad libber said...

its the birthday already? happy birthday and please tell me 24 is a happy nice time and you are not terrified.

onnesha said...

oh wow.i want the pictures.we did stick around that area after moolah and rishi went in,hoping we might catch the budday girl unawares and tell her about the party and spoil the fun.but then nice good ppl that we are,we decided against it.

Llama said...

@ Coffee
At least you knew there was a party. You could've mentally prepared yourself.

@ Moo
[Copy-paste of Coffee's message]

@ Ad libber
The actual budday's on Saturday. And 24 seems to be a nice and happy time. I will be terrified next year when I touch quarter century.

@ Onn
I look super ugly in the pics. So I am not putting 'em up. I'll try to look a l'il nicer in the actual non-surprise budday pics.

What's In A Name ? said...

Good that u had a Surprise party!!! they always sound FUN! :)

and yes....
Happiest B'day's Wishes in advances! :P