Saturday, August 9, 2008

Old but still kicking

I feel old and washed out and permanently stressed these days. The grey hair population is increasing by the minute (the silver strands actually sparkle after a shampoo) while the grey cells are getting worn out every hour of every day. I need a break from everything. I need a day when time would just stop.

STOP.

Nice word that. A pause during non-stop activity. Just press the button that looks like this:

II

And you have time to think things over, wonder, maybe just get a glass of water.

Life has suddenly become really hectic. My guitar lies unopened waiting for me to get some time to myself. And I don't mean free time to watch TV. Just time for me to be with me.

Me-time has become such a luxury. And it doesn't help that I have this huge list of things to do and feel guilty 'cause I don't end up doing most of them on any given day. I need a planner. I sure do.

I also need a computer chair. I read somewhere that 'backache is the new headache' -- and that sure seems to be the case. No matter what I do, my spine makes me feel like I belong to the paleolithic period.

I don't wish I could turn back time. Though I wouldn't mind being in a real-life Kate and Leopold thingy. But I just want a break. From everything and everyone. Almost everyone.

I'd like to see a rainbow. I'd seen one once upon a time, after a rough month while walking to the bus stop. For 15 minutes it was right there, the whole rainbow looking straight at me... end to end.

Sometimes you just know that there are angels watching over you. This was one of those sometimes.

There was another time when this star kept peeping at me through overcast skies while I stared back. This was during the height of the Mumbai monsoons, and the star kept twinkling till I felt all was right with the world again. Then it immediately pulled the disappearing act and hid behind the clouds. But my yellowish toothy smile had returned by then.

I'd like something like that one of these days. But I do feel better now -- how many people manage to walk towards a rainbow for 15 whole minutes?? And on the bright side, the internet is working today -- it had taken the day off last night.

My sister has been sitting in front of the TV and incessantly watching Disney Channel ever since she reached the US. My cats and dogs sleep, eat, take a walk, play with each other, eat, sleep, seek petting, eat, sleep all day through. My eldest cat Thomas in fact does away with most of the other activities and eats, sleeps, seeks petting, eats, sleeps all the time.

Being able to do nothing is a precious gift. If you have it, I envy and admire you. Plus, I don't know if any of that spare time will rub off... but do look at these poor lil puppy dog eyes.


7 comments:

What's In A Name ? said...

No 'me-time' sounds really 'hectic' to me. If its time thats in short supply......no reading books, no guitar, not nothing.

A job-switch then ?

Aphrodite said...

i crave me time @ times...but only for a while....gal u need a change of job i think!!!

coffee stain said...

i am on the look out for a remote like that ... you want me to get you one?!
lil no more be the llama
pressure and a lot lot things to do
some butterfuck's call it karma
but ze druid knows you'll get time for you

kobi hoye gelam je..... :P
hobe hobe.....

~Moo-lah Buz!nezzz~ said...

the rainbow always eludes you.
I dont know if it good or bad,Maybe if it didnt,it would not be as mysterious as it is.
Maybe,if someone ever pointed a gun at the back of your head,you would love to visit the rainbow to see what it really is.Maybe.

Shutapa Paul said...

rainbows...sigh...me favourite...who could refuse those puppy dog eyes...damn nice pic...

Sam said...

a fact!! serve notice to your company... u wud end up wid time!!

Llama said...

@ WIAN?, Aphrodite, and Sam
Sadly, the job is the least of my problems. This isn't something I can switch.

@ Coffee
Yes.. I need the remote.

@ Moo
Rainbows at any time of the day.

@ Shutz
I took the pic.

@ Dreamy
Sigh back at u.