Monday, August 18, 2008

Black & white and weddings

Black and white movies are really not my thing, but fairy tales are. And as far as fairy tales go, it's hard to beat a Cinderella story -- no matter which era it is set in, it touches a chord.

Audrey Hepburn was the Cinderella in this movie with Humphrey Bogart playing her Prince Charming. Personally, I think he makes a rather ugly Prince Charming. I preferred the guy playing his brother (who originally got the hots for Audrey -- the good ol' love triangle to bring in the twist).

Everybody around me seems to be on the brink of marriage these days. Chomu from school and Chandannagore from work are the latest victims. The first dude has had his parents and her parents set the date for the wedding but hasn't popped the question yet. The diamond ring is yet to be bought. The second dude has spoken to wifey-to-be over the phone over the last two days and seems very very giddy and blushy about it. It's kinda cute to see a guy go all red in the face talking about his wedding.

No wedding bells for me in the very near future, though there was this joke in office about my getting hitched that a certain much-liked intern and my boss fell for. It was all very funny till it seemed like one too many people know. But I did discover that the two ladies who sit beside me at work, love to overact when it comes to pulling the wool over other people's eyes (or spectacles). The fool-your-colleague questions I had to answer included:
  • Is the boy's brother coming down from the States?
  • How is the mom-in-law?
  • When are you going jewellery shopping?
  • Will you be buying gold? (If you don't like gold, go in for rodium-polished jewellery)

I don't have enough money or time to get married just now. And the whole shopping bonanza thing and crowds of unknown, smiling, judgemental faces gives me nausea. So I'll just go to other people's weddings and eat like a pink pig for the time being.

10 comments:

What's In A Name ? said...

The last paragraph scintillates. :P

coffee stain said...

aye aye
i agree.... the food is the bomb
my cous is gettin the knot... an believe you me...the work gets to you... its catches up!
the food is the only escape... onek khabo ei bar :D

~Moo-lah Buz!nezzz~ said...

rodium polished jewellery???!!...
Seriously??!!!!

I be big big fan of audrey hepburn too....besh besh pretty she be!!!

Madhurima said...

weddings r huge hassles. so its any day better to just go n enjoy at someone else's wedding! agree wit u on that one gurrl!

Unknown said...

food glorious food. the only reason i went to the million and one weddings my ma dragged me too.
and yes, i'd rather stay away from the hoohaa for now too!

ad libber said...

Sabrina, is not it?
See, that is all I know, cinderella movies.
What is rodium polished jewellery :(

Ipsita said...

i lyk d rapunzel story more...cud give ne hair oil company a run 4 dere money!!!

Aphrodite said...

same here...a million people around me opting for wedlock....2008 is like the year of weddings...;)

Aphrodite said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Llama said...

@ WIAN?
Thank you thank you :)

@ Coffee
Aah.. cousin's tying the knot is bheeshon chaap. Too much work to be done. Besta luck.

@ Moo
Seriously.
I not fan-fan of Hepburn. But pretty she certainly is.

@ Madz
Yessir yessir.

@ Hobgoblin
Food. They help you survive all weddings except your own. May the good lord protect us.

@ Ad Libber
Seems like everyone's watched the movie but me. Sabrina.. aye. Love the film.

@ Harmonic whisperer
Rapunzel. Aye. Good fairy tale that.

@ Aphrodite
Puts pressure on those of us that don't get hitched. Sigh.