Saturday, February 16, 2008

Keeping My Resolution

Posting everyday is quite a hassle. But believe me, I am trying to keep this resolution; rather unsuccessfully for the time being, but I am trying. Here comes another get-up-to-date post.

14th Feb:
Boyfriend and I decide not to talk to each other on V-Day. The long-distance factor ensures that this can be managed quite easily, though I do end up calling him (but no V-Day wishes mind you) for ten minutes at night. This has become a habit now.

Instead of going out with the boyfriend, I meet up with Shreya (my soulmate by birthday according to one big horoscope book that we have at home). We set out for New Market. Here is what follows:
(1) A long walk up and down Shreeram Arcade and great wonderment at how the once hip-n-happening place has become a sad place to frequent;
(2) Orange juice at one of those rat-infested (I saw a big grey one) juice centres outside Shreeram;
(3) Shop for shoes for me (picked up two for a total of Rs.243);
(4) Gorge on 3-rupee biscuits on the way to Park Street;
(5) Walk into CCD, realize that they have special (Read: exorbitantly-priced) V-Day menu, and walk out;
(6) Descend on Cha-Bar instead to have tea that costs Rs.30 and tastes like soap water and chat about all that's wrong with our lives (I only do this with Shreya);
(7) Rickshaw ride home where we just miss running over a cat that doesn't know what zebra crossings are for.

Apart from that a few "Happy V-Day" phone calls to my former I-Hate-V-Day pals. Now that I have a boyfriend, I am automatically chucked out of that club, irrespective of whether or not I celebrate this great gimmick.

15th Feb:
Cousin's Registry Wedding.
I hate weddings. Attending them makes me sick to the core. I hate dressing up for them, though once I'm all decked up (Read: Wearing earrings and kajal) I wonder why I don't prettify more often.

Why do I hate weddings? It's because I hate exchanging pleasantries. To me that's a supremely dull waste of time.

I guess when you go to a wedding prepared for the worst, it doesn't seem all that bad. But that does not make it good either. Which brings me to my question: Can one get married by proxy?

In other words, can I hire someone to be me at my own wedding (to keep up appearances) while I go catch a movie and stuff my face with popcorn?

Another question: Who was the bright spark that suddenly woke up one day to decide that weddings are times of celebration? Cavemen and women were happy enough with the act of making babies. Why the great need for organized celebrations in the ancient world when one could have orgies galore?

Deviating from the above high-philosophy, let me tell you that the food at my cousin's registry wedding was scrumptious (a very 18th-century-England adjective, but it fits). Ate authentic Bengali food after ages, and the rabri (the only non-Bengali item on the menu) was out of this world!!
[For those that are interested: The ceremony will be held next Friday.
N.B.: This is not to be mistaken for an invite.]

16th Feb:
A dull as nails day. Had stayed over at cousin's place. Woke up to noise and the still-scrumptious leftovers for breakfast. Got home and got to work. But don't feel like working; hence the super-long blogpost that tracks all three days in sufficient (excessive?) detail.

Will pretend to work a little more and then curl up with either Hemmingway's "The Old Man and the Sea" or Kazuo Ishiguro's "The Remains of the Day". I think I'll go with Hemmingway. It's thinner you see.

9 comments:

ad libber said...

These long posts mean too many commentable points :( And I am sure I will end up ignoring the best of them.
1) the over pricing at CCD was blasphemous.
2)your cousins feed well. Pity about the non invite.
3)Its the free food. Maybe uncivilized people started with feats and orgies. And civilization put an end to orgies.
4)I envy you Shreya
5)Hemmingway (shudders)

What's In A Name ? said...

And that means we aren't invited ?? is it ??

too sad. :(

I loooooooooooooooooove rabri, actually.




;)

~Moo-lah Buz!nezzz~ said...

I hate CCD's too!!!....
Yeh,Shreeram arcade is really screwed up now,I remember how that was one of our fav hang out spot during schooldays....
It looks rather cheap now....
And I love the solitude of TheOld Man and the sea tooo!!

dreamy said...

I agree. Exchanging pleasantries is just about a very very dull thing.

Aphrodite said...

nice post...musings mostly aye...is shreeram arcade really a sad place now??and the juice bars outside there have awesome juice..i always made it a point to drink some when ever i was there...y does evryone hate CCD so much...please enlighten me...i have been thr couple of times...definitely read remains of the day too..its a gud read...hehe

Llama said...

@ Ad Libber
You should become a professional commenter.
The free food. Aye. Most likely.
I shall pass your envy on to Shreya.
"The Old Man and the Sea" is quite nice actually. Though I'd like to know whether he eventually catches the fish or dies. 40 pages to go.

@ What's in a Name?
You're invited to my All-the-Rabri-You-Can-Eat wedding, if you're nice to me for the next 3-4 years. (This holds for Ad Libber too)

@ Moolah
It's sad that all those places that were cool while we were in school have become so shoddy. That includes New Empire, Globe, Nicco Park, and all those Archies-Hallmark stores :(

@ Dreamy
Bhery bhery dull.

@ Aphrodite
Shreeram is really really sad now.
And CCD is a good place normally (despite the occasional excessively loud music). But avoid it on special days like V-Day, New Year's, Christmas, Pujos. They have this special menu where nothing comes for less than 100-bucks!

What's In A Name ? said...

3-4 yearrrrrrssssssssssss ???????


Thats a looooooooooonnnnggg way.

Reminds me of John Denver and 'country roads'.

:D

:)

ad libber said...

(dithers between whether to ruin the suspense of old man and the sea or not)
Its just an extension of my talkative self I guess, all this commenting.
And can you get married sooner? My pet astrologer has predicted my death in the next couple of years.

Llama said...

@ What's in a Name? and Ad Libber
Have patience children!

Specifically @ Ad Libber
Glad you didn't ruin the suspense. And check out your Armageddon Day with the link on my next post, and then temme when D-Day is coming.