Saturday, November 17, 2007

Why I Read My Daily Horoscope and Other Miscellany

"A lot of changes are coming to your life very soon, so this is a day to take another long look at what you've got going on now -- and appreciate it! Living in the moment is a difficult thing to do in this age of fast-moving information and future plans. But you'd be cheating yourself big time if you didn't at least take an hour out of your day to reflect on your life and thank yourself for making the choices and efforts it took to get you where you are."

That was my horoscope for the day courtesy Yahoo Astrology. Given the way in which my life has been progressing, the horoscope seems bang on target. It is because of days like this that I read my horoscope for at least 90% of the days of the year. They match sometimes, and then I'm hooked for a week. Then they stop matching. But I still read on, looking for some coincidence, some sign that the stars do foretell the future, or at least the present.

Went for Diwali dinner with the folks at office last night, and we got fortune cookies at the end of the meal. My fortune said: "Expect the best, and life takes on new meaning." Motivating, n'est-ce pas?

My official email address got deleted yesterday. I don't miss it. But I did feel a little sad when the Boss told me that he had just deleted it. I guess it is time to get a new email address. Was a little less mad at the Boss yesterday. I guess all Bosses periodically become painful. Anyway, I ate with chopsticks last night. Picked up the art at the restaurant (All Stir Fry at Gordon House, Colaba, Mumbai). Maybe I was a Chinawoman in my last life. In my next life I have decided to be a dog (not bitch) at my university. The life after that I will be an astronaut. And after that I will be a true blue superhot dumb blonde who wins the Miss USA title. I'd made plans for a few subsequent afterlifes (afterlives?), but I don't remember them now. Maybe later.

Read The Reluctant Fundamentalist till three a.m. this morning. Fumbled with the open ending. I prefer it when the author spells out the ending a little more clearly actually. Does the speaker get killed? Is the guy he's been chatting with all evening going to kill him? What's the case with the waiter? I think a bit of a re-read of the last few pages is necessary. I feel a little stupid as of now. Interpretations regarding the ending are welcome.

6 comments:

Madhurima said...

1. Havnt read it.
2. U shud come back as a dog in our school...albert pinto must b dead by now...

dreamy said...

astrology is addictive at times and then it does make you feel especially stupid , if you happen to be trying very hard to match your life with whats been predicted, that, on a saturday night, when the world outside is probably doing stuff and going places!?!

~Moo-lah Buz!nezzz~ said...

what?!,now,just cuz u got u reading ur horoscope all da time???..!!
....and this afterlife thing...influenced by OSO aint u???

ad libber said...

Its very strange about horoscopes, isnt it? We laugh at it, but somewhere, we look for those telltale generalities, where we can pretend something came true. Of course my horoscope has been saying I will meet the love of my life this week. By now, I have been meeting him every week for seven years straight.
Dogs at campuses have blissful lives. Stick to the notion.

Dyaus Spes said...

You are so well planned, even species. Why dog though?

Llama said...

@ madhurima
Don't say that about Albert Pinto (who was female btw). My M'bai Univ campus had a lot more greenery and a lot more space. Location already decided. And please read the book.

@ dreamy
I truly feel pathetic at times.

@ moolah
Nope.. decided about the afterlives long before watching OSO. I'm addicted to reading my Yahoo horoscope.

@ ad libber
I would love to write horoscopes for a living y'know. And dogs in campuses do have blissful lives.

@ dyaus
I like dogs. And I'd like to be a guy for a change.