Friday, October 5, 2007

Turning Into a Teen

My sister will be turning 13 on the 17th of this month, and she is really excited about it. Yet, not too long ago she was grumbling about walking out of childhood and into the complicated world of teenaged life (though she didn't put it in that many words). She has been in denial of her old age for a while now (wonder what she'll do when she gets to my age, or Ma's for that matter). And suddenly she seems okay with it. She went shopping for birthday clothes today; has started planning where to take her friends for budday lunch next Friday, after school; and has generally been dropping hints about stuff she'd like to get as presents.

And the excitement is warranted. She is finally walking out of pre-teen-hood and into the world of teenagedom. What are the things she carries with her into the new world? Lip gloss, eyeliner, earrings, bangles -- all the things that girls are supposed to love. Yes, she is the girl of the family. I am pretty sure that all the boys -- little and otherwise -- are soon going to be lining up outside the white gates of our orange-colored building, just to get a glimpse of the above-mentioned teen queen.

Teen queen she is. But teen drama queen would be more specific. If you ever wanted to see the typical troubled teenager who is tantrumming her way to school, lunch, or the bathroom, this sister of mine would be a case in point.

She makes me wonder why I never did such things. I used to be as dull as a drawer knob. I think I still am. Whimsical but dull. My 13th birthday came and went with very little fanfare. I don't even remember what I did that year. Memories are such crazy things. I find myself remembering the color of someone's shirt somewhere in the distant past. But ask me what joke made me double over laughing last week, and I'll reply with a blank stare. Clearly, my teen years are long gone.

4 comments:

coffee stain said...

i remember my 13th birthday.... my cake more than anything....i remember it was called the "devils own" or sumthin really spanky.....it was chocolate.....with another layer of chocolate...then another...it just wudn't end..... and since ma had made a 2nd cake of "chom-chom" and small rasogollas..... not a lot had the chocolate cake.... the best birthday ever....

Dyaus Spes said...

What! 13 should be counted in one's life?? I didn't know that and I just skipped that. I want my 13th year back. :(

~Moo-lah Buz!nezzz~ said...

All i did on my 13th birthday was go to school and give and exams!!!

Llama said...

Looks like Coffee had the best 13th birthday!
Hopefully, my sister's one will be equally memorable.
And @ moolah..
Exams?? That is sad!