Monday, October 1, 2007

Rambling Today

Met the elder brother of a grand-aunt today. And he speaks so well. We -- I will do away with the royal "we" just this once. I always have this idea that all my Bong relatives speak English in the Bengali way. With elongated vowels, and a "V" that sounds more like a "W", and a "hiss" that actually goes "hissh" (Not being condescending there. Just exercising my powers of observation). However, this gentleman spoke perfectly unaccented, highly educated English dating back to the days of the British Raj. Lovely!

And old people love to comment on the pitiful state of the young people of the world. He spoke about how we never have time to stand and stare at sheep or cows any more. (How I love that poem – Daffodils by Wordsworth). I nodded in agreement as I always do when I'm not interested in getting into a debate -- which is most times. I'm more of the spectator. Let others get into the fight. I'll be part of the circle that forms around them, watches the fun, does nothing about it, goes home and writes about it in their blog. :D
Apathy, your name is Pooja!

I did see a fight on the bus today. Old man got very excited about something and kept shouting in his once-deep-now-shrill voice. But this happened at the other end of the bus. Two standing men were blocking my view. Such a pity!

Watched That 70s Show after ages. Fez was having a feud with this gay landlord (The lord of the land, if you prefer). And now I want to feud with somebody. Not quarrel. Not fight. Not wrestle. Just feud. The elder brother of the grand-aunt was right. We are missing out on so much -- no time to stand, stare, or even feud. (Yes. I will put that word in italics every single time!).

A friend of mine was looking through her inbox and came across some mails I sent her almost exactly two years ago. I had just shifted to Mumbai, was having adjustment issues, and took every free moment to crib about the place. My only outlet was my diary and these superlong mails that my friends got in their mailbox at least twice a week. Except that, I was apparently entertaining enough for them to get their best friends and/or significant others to read :D Even now that's an ego boost.

Here's an excerpt from two years ago. Mail to a friend who I was scared would remain boyfriendless forever:
"Find yourself a nice bf soon. I’m not saying cute... coz cute guys have become obsolete. I have yet to see a really cute guy in Bbay. It’s so sad. All the guys I see are like a 6 on 10. Mostly less than that. Have seen two or three 7s on 10. But no more. It’s so sad!!!! Where did all the cute guys go????????"

That last question still holds, with a few (very few) exceptions of course.

6 comments:

Dyaus Spes said...

Well the answer to your last question. Cute guys are either blogging or working in call centers these days. :D

Unknown said...

u always make me laugh. nice posts....!

coffee stain said...

cute guy 101 reportin for duty ma'am.
and
Apathy, thao name is Pooja!

~Moo-lah Buz!nezzz~ said...

you guys used to write mails like that??????????????!!!!!.....

Gosh!!Its always fun to watch a fight!!!....

and btw @ dyaus...correction!cute 'wo'men and ghaati-gawaar men work in call centres!!!....

ad libber said...

ah well, all cute guys are with cute girls.
But you know what's really funny about observing and not participating? People almost always end up blogging about thEM. :p
At least I always do.

Llama said...

Wow! So many answers to where the cute guys have gone. :D

@ dyaus
I agree with Moolah on the call centres bit. As for blogging.. u really don't get to "see" the cute guys there. What's the point in them being cute!?

@ hobgoblin
Yay! So nice to have you back! And thankee :)

@ coffee stain a.k.a. cute guy 101
Vanity, thy name is Roy.

@ moolah
I used to write mails like that! :P

@ ad libber
I'm convinced that cute guys are an endangered species. And amen to the observing-not-participating-and-blogging bit!