Saturday, July 28, 2007

From an Eccentric Bookworm

This past week I've been a lot of things that I'm usually not. I've been rude and mean (but only subliminally so). I've felt jealous at a friend's happening new job which pays her way more than me. (I was happy for her but the green-eyed monster stole my peace of mind for a couple of hours.) Oh... and I did avoid a couple of phone calls as well. I think I'm turning into an eccentric something-or-the-other.

"Eccentric Pooja" -- I don't think I mind that too much. I have this dream of becoming a super-famous author, going to a seven star restaurant, putting my legs up on the chair, Laloo-style, and slurping pasta from my fingers. Sigh... Maybe someday.

Spent a thousand bucks on books today. I'm normally the stingiest girl alive. Even great-looking clothes do nothing to make me spend unless I actually have no clothes to wear. But I can never help myself in a bookstore. I don't even try. The theory is that a book can last forever... Or at least for my lifetime. 300 bucks for a good book is quite a steal that way. Especially when you compare it to the kinds of clothes you could buy, and the number of months that they'd last.

These books are going to have to wait for awhile though. Am currently reading this book by Stendhal which deals with Italians and their court intrigues in the Napoleonic era. I know that sounds kinda yuck... But it is written real well, and it is exciting stuff.
Swashbuckling soldiers.
Running from jealous elder brothers.
Falling in love with your own aunt.
Meeting a priest that loves astrology.
If I had to go back in time, I think I'd like to be one of those children of the good old French Revolution. There was a purpose to live. Ideals to die for. Emperors to look up to.

These days, we have a silly-looking, silly-talking Prez. And our only purpose in life is to get a job that pays some more. And our vehicles? Eco-unfriendly cars and buses.

By the way, while at the bookstore, I also ended up reading two Roald Dahl kid stories. One was about how this man (Mr. Hoppy) wooed the love of his life by keeping on increasing the weight of her pet turtle Alfie. It's an interesting story... and maybe I'll relate it on some other day (too sleepy now). The other story was about how this boy fed a special medicine to his witch grandmother and made her disappear. Yeah... it sounds pretty horrible, but then she was a wicked witch. The poor kid had no other choice. (The old lady especially loved having lettuce with worms and slugs on them. She said it was quite delicious.)

Speaking of "delicious"... Going for Chinese breakfast tomorrow morning! Meatball soup -- here I come!!

2 comments:

~Moo-lah Buz!nezzz~ said...

Eccentric pooja....cmon..that aint bad....i am eccentric but i dont mind it at all anyway!!!....
..and trust be being rude and mean in a time helps...!!I so totally do that too!!!
Our Prez is sooo sorry man..She looks like a goat about to be butchered!!!...haha!!

Llama said...

@ moolah..

I actually like being called eccentric n weird neway.. there's great joy in that. N yeah... being rude to jerks n annoyances does give quite a high.
n yeah.. our Prez does look like a chhagol.. nw tht u mention it!