Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Birthday Tomatoes??

Gooey Chocolate Cake! Pineapple Pie Cake! Black Forest Cake! Cake! Cake! And even more cake! Think of birthdays, and the greedier dudes and dudettes among us, pop a thought bubble: "Yumm! Birthday cake!"

But why do we have cakes on birthdays? Why not pie? Why not pudding? Why not pizza or hamburgers or khichdi? (Okay, khichdi sounds really sad in this context... but you get my drift!)

I wonder why such traditions get formed. Birthday cake. Christmas presents. Milk for breakfast and not for lunch.

Well, for this birthday, I didn't have a cake ready at midnight. So what did we cut instead? Pears and tomatoes. They looked pretty. The pears were crunchy. And instead of candles (which were also not close at hand), we put toothpicks on the tomatoes and pears. And trust me, at 12:00 a.m., they did taste pretty yo! Wonder why we stick to the ghisa-pita cake custom then.

I think I wonder too much about things that really don't matter too much. I like having cake on my birthday (though an overkill of icing or marzipan kills my taste buds). And on the birthdays of others. I just have a problem with customs, traditions. Rebellious by nature. That's my problem!

1 comment:

~Moo-lah Buz!nezzz~ said...

We eat cake on birthdays cause no one thought of pears and tomtatoes in the 13th century.
And to think of it,I did have milk,cornflakes and cereals for lunch last month.Damn!!
And i really think customs and traditions are nice.In fact,I love following them as long as they sound cool to me.
And rebellious by nature...sheesh..aajkaal'kar meye'ra naa...hmpfh...

:P