Friday, January 8, 2010

Two things

1. All the Get Well Soon wishes for ailing Jyoti Basu. Great communist, and Guiness Book entering CM he may be, but is it reason enough to want him to live forever? He is 96, for God's sake. An old, old man. Isn't this kind of an existence just punishment to him.? Let the old man go in peace at least.

2. The new Facebook fad goes like this: In honour of breast cancer awareness, we are playing a game...... silly, but fun! Write the colour of your bra as your status, just the colour, nothing else!! Copy this and pass it on to all Females ...... NO MEN!! This will be fun to see how it spreads, and we are leaving the men wondering why all females just have a colour as their status!! Let's have fun!! - Send this message on to all females on your friends list.

That's one version. I got two more. It made me angry. The status message thing sounds fun, but why tag it with breast cancer awareness? Is there a link, or a message that adds some value? Why the need for the "Oooo.. I'm doing this for society" tag at all? Bullshit! It's frivolous and an insult to people who have battled breast cancer or know people who have. If you need a gimmick to spread awareness, it needn't be boring, but it can be a little informative at least.

Ditto for Pink Chaddi campaign. Frivolous as hell. The hype, didn't necessarily change any mindsets.

Q: What did I, a potential breast cancer victim, learn from today's exercise?
A: What colour bras every chick on my Facebook friendlist is wearing.

11 comments:

coffee stain said...

acid tongue toh, i likes.
but i bet it was a mans idea :D

Anonymous said...

I haven't heard you being so angry...I posted a colour, though I completely ignored the awareness part...except my colour was pink (which is the official breast cancer awareness colour)

ZeeshanJehangir said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ZeeshanJehangir said...

Completely agree, but i bet some guy must have pulled this baby off!

Madhurima said...

awareness bit aside, it was a lot of fun. i posted too!

Smita said...

wowowow!!!! somebody's angry!!!

Kitkat said...

u do sound angry, but dont u think u r over-reacting?? I mean ur pt'z well taken but y get angry over such trivial matters..take them with a pinch of salt & move on....

Angry Voices said...

Read an expression in a Bengali story once.."Uni khoborer kagoj diye prithibi rokkha korten." This is what it's become.

Completely agree with your irritation.

~Moo-lah Buz!nezzz~ said...

even though i wdnt put it so harshly....but i totally agree on the fact that its quite lame to call it 'spreading the awareness and all..."... it was fun and filled our facebooks with comments.But it sure wasnt awareness.

~Moo-lah Buz!nezzz~ said...

...and yes,please let him go in peace.emnitei the politics were not enough,the paramedics are doing their bit too. :D

Llama said...

@ Reeshi and Zeeshi
It's got to be a guy's brainchild. A girl should have made it more relevant to the issue at hand.

@ Inihos, Mads, Smita, Moo
It was a pointless exercise when tied up with a cause. I wish it didn't have the tag at all.

Also, in retrospect, I don't think half the ladies who posted honestly would be comfortable if several of the men on their FB list came to know their undercolours. Plus, it stopped being a secret before I even got my first mail - ANI had already published it. And an hour later TOI online did too.

@ Kitkat
I considered if I was over-reacting, and I decided that I was not. This particular FB fad is an insult to people battling the disease.

And for all the "Shh.. don't tell the menfolk" jazz, men get breast cancer too.

@ Arka
You put it just right.

@ Moo
Tsk. It's very sad. I just feel sorry for the poor old man now.